Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fleischmann's Easy Italian Herb Focaccia Bread

Earlier this week while waiting for "Sandy's" arrival, I made up a pot of spaghetti sauce so just in case we lost power, we'd have one last hot meal.  And what goes better with spaghetti than bread!

I've never baked any sort of homemade bread.  I've used the pre-made bread mixes in my bread machine, but as far as using yeast, I'm a total newbie.  To be honest, yeast has always made me really nervous.  Is my water the right temperature, will the dough rise enough, if at all?  I have always thought it was just too much work, and boy was I completely wrong!

One of this months Allrecipes assignments was to prepare a Fleischmann's recipe and on that list was a recipe for Easy Italian Herb Focaccia Bread.  It looked simple enough.  I had all the ingredients except for the Fleischmann's RapidRise Yeast so I picked that up early Monday morning, while everyone else was at the grocery store stocking up on much needed supplies.

Once home, I gathered all my ingredients and then started to heat up my water to just the right temperature.  After a few attempts, I finally got the water to the right temperature, just between 120-130 degrees.  After pouring it into my bowl of flour and yeast mixture I held my breath and crossed my fingers that this would not end up a complete mess.

And it wasn't!  The yummy results are pictured below:


I was really surprised at how easy this was to make and how delicious it was with our spaghetti dinner. From now on, this is definately on my go to list of things to make.  

I 'mostly' followed the recipe, the only changes I made was that I added garlic powder and italian seasoning to my flour mixture and used it as well for the topping.  The recipe also only calls for 1 teaspoon of salt, but in my opinion, I felt like it could have used a little more.  I added a sprinkling of salt to top of the bread once it came out of the oven (only after trying it first) and that seemed to do the trick.



No comments:

Post a Comment