Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Beef. It's What's For Dinner

This month I was selected to participate in the "Beef.  It's What's For Dinner" program with Allrecipes. I was looking forward to this sponsor because we do cook beef at least once a week in our home, but it's usually the regular standby's, so I was eager to experiment with some new recipes.

During the week, our schedules are a bit erratic.  Between evening classes and work, and just life in general, it's not always possible for me to make an elaborate dinner for the family.  Because of that, I made the Grilled Steak and Fresh Mozzarella Flatbread for dinner last night, and we were not disappointed!


The steaks were perfectly seasoned with just a rub of lemon-pepper seasoning and then I seared them on both sides for about 2 minutes per side.  The steaks weren't overly thick, so it took no time at all to grill them to medium, with just a little pink in the middle.  The combination of the spinach, fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar added a nice sweetness to the flatbread while offsetting the rub on the steak.  The next time I make these (and there will be a next time), the only change I will make is that I'm going to grill the naan bread a bit longer to get it a bit crispier.

We've always heard that you should eat red meat in moderation but I was suprised to discover that all lean cuts of beef contain less than 10 grams of total fat, 4.5 grams or less of saturated fats and less than 95 milligrams of cholesterol for each 3 1/2 oz. cooked serving.  Did you know that some lean cuts of beef are as lean as a 3 oz. skinless chicken thigh?  

We eat a lot of chicken in our house but I'm going to try to incorporate some leaner cuts of beef into our meals.  Check out the Beef. It's Whats For Dinner website for more nutritional information.





No comments:

Post a Comment